Responsible for overseeing the Finance, IT, Facilities and HR functions of Pasadena Humane following industry standards, regulatory agencies, as appropriate and company objectives per the organizational strategic plan. Act as a member of Pasadena Humane’s executive team and work with the team to set goals, monitor work progress, evaluate results and ensure Pasadena Humane’s administrative requirements are met and in line with the needs and the mission of Pasadena Humane.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Controller, Director of Facilities and Maintenance, IT Director and HR leadership.
- Works with the Executive Team to plan, prioritize and evaluate the overall administration policies and procedures of the organization.
- Ensures the proper development, implementation and direction of administrative policies and procedures to facilitate day-to-day functioning of the organization, as well as to meet long term Strategic goals.
- Ensures the management, supervision, training, evaluation, termination, and general productivity of all Administration Division Staff, ensuring all staff members meet or exceed the expectations of the position, while upholding the organization’s values.
- Evaluates the Administrative Division structure and team plan for continuous improvement of the efficiency and effectiveness of the group, as well as providing individuals with professional and personal growth with an emphasis on opportunities for individuals.
- Analyzes and creates processes for Administration Division needs, taking into account the financial, administrative, and operational implications for the organization.
- Ensures accurate and timely financial status reporting is provided to the Board of Directors and Executive Team to assist them in performing their responsibilities.
- Maintains constant awareness of administrative issues and is pro-active in preventing problems.
- Continually improves the budgeting process for the Administrative Division through education/training of department managers on budgetary issues affecting their ongoing departmental performance.
- Ensures accounting systems comply with GAAP.
- Ensures ongoing development of accounting policies and procedures to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal laws, reporting requirements and tax filings, including laws related to finance, human resource practices, payroll and benefits.
- Creates and analyzes administrative reports and statistics.
- Reviews, advises, manages, and administers all contracts into which Pasadena Humane may enter for content, accuracy, requirements, and terms.
- Oversees financial administration of Pasadena Humane’s contracts with Cities for animal control services and animal sheltering. Participates in drafting contracts and acts as the liaison with government officials regarding the administrative side of the contracts.
- Oversees the strategic direction of the IT function.
- Ensures the IT Department is appropriately managed to meet the requirements necessary for the operational functionality and efficiency of every program, network, and telecom system within the organization.
- Oversees general management and implementation of all Facility services including space planning, building maintenance, janitorial services, security, capital improvements and vehicle fleet.
- Researches new products, laws, and regulations for the purpose of recommending purchases, contracts and proper maintenance of the organization.
- Leads the internal Safety Committee, ensuring a safe working environment and compliance with OSHA standards.
- Oversees the strategic direction of the HR function, including all aspects of Talent Management. Mitigates the risk of legal exposure, monitors legal compliance and employee relations issues.
- Oversees all insurance and workers compensation policies and renewals.
- Ensures all payroll functions, including payroll processing, employee benefit administration, compliance and payments, and annual census reporting are handled efficiently and accurately.
- Represents Pasadena Humane at outside meetings, acts as a liaison with other organizations and contractors/partners, as needed.
- Promotes positive relations with the general public, volunteers, and staff, addresses customer complaints as needed.
- Upholds Pasadena Humane’s mission and values, and contributes to building a culture of philanthropy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Proven working experience as a Vice President of Administration or in a similar role.
- 10+ years of overall finance, operational, and leadership experience.
- Thorough knowledge of accounting principles, procedures, laws and best practices
- Experience with non-profit accounting and audits.
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or MBA preferred (Bachelor’s degree in Finance and 8+ years’ experience will be considered).
- Experience in facilities management, with animal shelter experience preferred.
- Experience in Human Resources oversight.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret complex documents.
- Ability to respond effectively to sensitive inquiries or complaints.
- Proficient in the use of MS Office and financial management software (e.g., Sage/Peachtree, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and HRIS systems (ADP preferred).
- Ability to work with supervisors in implementing new policies and procedures.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent administration and organizational skills and the ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to demonstrate professional decorum and discretion due to the nature of the work.
- Experienced with strategic thinking, problem-solving, financial management and project management.
- Excellent communication, leadership, customer support, interpersonal, and planning skills, including strong writing skills.
- Extreme attention to detail with the ability to independently and proactively plan work tasks.
- Ability to learn new technology and systems as required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and effectively manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Possess the ability to be both self-directed, adaptable, and collaborative.
- Interact positively with management, coworkers, volunteers, and the public to promote a team effort and maintain a positive and professional approach.
- Displays empathy for others and works collaboratively.
- Has a good sense of humor and can take work seriously with a playful nature.
- Must come to work regularly and on time, follow directions, take criticism, get along with coworkers and supervisors, treat coworkers, supervisory staff, members, and guests with respect, courtesy, and refrain from abusive, insubordinate, and/or violent behavior.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that may include weekends and holidays.
- Fast-paced environment.
- Exposure to numerous animals (live and deceased), including those with uncertain dispositions. They are required to act safely and responsibly.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
HOW TO APPLY
- If you are interested in the VP of Administration position please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. E-mail applications will only be accepted for the VP of Administration position. All other job applications should be submitted through our ADP Talent Community portal.
Pasadena Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy not to engage in discrimination against any individual or harassment of any person seeking employment with our organization on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic information or status as a covered veteran including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices, including recruitment, selection, promotion, transfer, merit increase, salary, training and development, demotion, and separation. This policy is intended to be consistent with the provisions of applicable State and Federal laws. Federal law requires proof of citizenship or “alien right-to-work” status. Pasadena Humane maintains a drug-free workplace and performs pre-employment drug testing.