Rehoming a pet can be an incredibly difficult decision and we are here to support you every step of the way.
Resources to help keep your pet with you
If you have found someone to take care of your pet until you can be reunited, it is a good idea to have an agreement in place. You may want to refer to the Temporary Pet Guardian Contract from the Animal Welfare Association as a guide.
If you feel you can no longer keep your pet and have some time to find your pet a new home, we recommend you first try to find your pet a new home without bringing them to the shelter.
- Post your pet on our Home-to-Home adoption page (open to residents of LA County). Fill out the Home-to-Home application to post your pet.
- Post a photo and bio of your pet on your social media channels
- Talk to your friends, family, neighbors, coworkers or other social networks about your pet
- Contact a breed-specific rescue if your pet meets the criteria
- Create a pet profile on Rehome, a free tool designed to help pets find new homes without having to spend time in a shelter
- Make your pet more adoptable by getting them spayed/neutered, microchipped and vaccinated. If you need financial assistance, contact our Helping Paws program at 626.792.7151 ext. 281 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Shelter surrender should be the last resort for rehoming your pet. Why? The shelter environment can be very scary for your pet, which may lead to increased anxiety, disruptive behaviors and illness—all of which make it harder for your pet to find a new home.
If you have made efforts to rehome your pet and have been unsuccessful, you may surrender a pet to Pasadena Humane if you are a resident of one our 11 animal control service areas.* Owner surrenders are by appointment only. Please submit your Owner Surrender Request (disponible en Español). A Pasadena Humane staff member will be in contact within 72 hours with next steps for a surrender appointment.
If you need to immediately surrender your pet due to safety reasons or in case of emergency, please contact animal control at 626.792.7151 ext. 102.
The fee to surrender your pet is:
- Dog, Cat, Rabbit: $40
- Litter: $50
- All other animals: $25
*Altadena, Arcadia, Bradbury, Glendale, La Cañada, La Crescenta-Montrose, Monrovia, Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre, and South Pasadena.
If you do not live in one of our animal control contract cities, please contact the shelter that services your area. Other local shelter systems include LA Animal Services, LA County Animal Care & Control, San Gabriel Humane Society.
Entrega de una mascota
Si ha hecho esfuerzos para reubicar su mascota y no ha tenido éxito, puede entregar una mascota a Pasadena Humane si es residente de uno de nuestros 11 contratos de control de animales ciudades.* Las entregas de propietarios son solo con cita previa. Por favor envíe su formulario de Solicitud de Entrega de Propietario aquí. Un miembro del personal de Pasadena Humane se pondrá en contacto dentro de las 72 horas con los próximos pasos para una cita de entrega.
Si usted o su mascota están en peligro inmediato y cree que la entrega es la opción más segura, llame a nuestro equipo de atención durante el horario comercial habitual: 626.792.7151 ext. 100 or 137.
*Arcadia, Altadena, Bradbury, Glendale, La Canada Flintridge, La Crescenta-Montrose, Monrovia, Pasadena, San Marino, Sierra Madre, and South Pasadena.
Sign up for our email newsletter