Pasadena Humane was founded in 1903 by a local Methodist group as “The Pasadena Humane Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children and Dumb Animals.” Like many turn of the century humane societies, Pasadena Humane worked to ensure the humane treatment of draft animals, as well as rescuing and rehoming orphaned and abused children. Companion animals gradually replaced working animals as Pasadena Humane’s main focus, as working horses were retired in favor of modern machines.
In 1914, we purchased the property where today’s shelter is located on Raymond Avenue. The oldest building at our shelter dates back to 1929 and is located behind the modern-day dog kennels. The historic building on Raymond Avenue, which currently houses our adoptions office and animal resource center was completed in 1932, and provided a source of employment to local families during the Great Depression.
In the post-war years, Pasadena Humane expanded its number of dog kennels, built new cat housing and additional storage facilities. In 1984, Pasadena Humane was recognized as a Cultural Heritage Landmark by the City of Pasadena.
The shelter remained essentially untouched until a major renovation was completed in the mid-90s, which greatly expanded onsite animal capacity in a park-like setting and created a dedicated space for humane education activities.
In 2014, Pasadena Humane doubled in size with the opening of the Animal Care Center. This new campus includes a low-cost public spay/neuter clinic, behavior and training center, updated dog boarding kennels and expanded retail store. In 2015, the Neely Cat Center and Critter House opened, providing cats, rabbits and other critters an inviting, dedicated space of their own.
With campus renovations complete, attention has turned to program development. In the last five years, Pasadena Humane has adopted progressive sheltering practices focused on increasing adoptions, saving the lives of more animals and helping guardians keep their pets.