**With the developing news regarding coronavirus COVID-19, we have made the decision to close our shelter to the public. Please submit all licensing paperwork by mail. If you have a question regarding your pet’s license, you can reach a member of our licensing team at 626.792.7151 ext. 115 or licensing@pasadenahumane.org.

 If you’d like to foster a shelter animal, please email foster@pasadenahumane.org for more information.**

The Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA is contracted to issue pet licenses for the following cities and unincorporated areas of Los Angeles County:

To purchase your pet license, please submit a completed copy of your city’s license application, payment and any required documentation to the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. Applications may be sent by mail or dropped off in person during regular business hours.

Los Angeles County Department of Animal Care and Control (DACC) is now processing all new and renewal pet licenses for all unincorporated Los Angeles County areas, including unincorporated Altadena, La Crescenta-Montrose, Monrovia, and East Pasadena/San Pasqual & Kinneloa Mesa (zip codes 91001, 91104, 91107, 91214, 91020, 91011, and 91107). DACC will honor all current animal licenses, but all future renewals and new animal license payments should be made to DACC. Please note that while the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA will no longer be providing these licensing services, they will continue to provide animal sheltering and field services to these areas. For more information on pet licensing, please visit the DACC website at animalcare.lacounty.gov.

*Monrovia and Pasadena Residents: Your city issues dog licenses per fiscal year (July through June). If you are purchasing a new dog license during the year, you will need to pay a prorated rate.

**Arcadia, La Cañada Flintridge and San Marino dog licenses can be purchased at at City Hall.

Licensing FAQ

What is a pet license?
A pet license is an additional form of ID that indicates your pet has been registered with your city and vaccinated against rabies. All dogs age 4 months and older are required by law to be licensed in California. If you live in Altadena, Bradbury, La Crescenta and the County portion of Pasadena, you must also license your cat. Pet licenses are issued as ID tags that must be worn on your pet’s collar at all times.

How does licensing benefit my pet?
A license tag greatly improves the chance that your dog (or cat) will be returned home if they get lost. When you purchase a license, your pet is assigned a unique ID number that links to you as the owner. Better yet, if one of our animal control officers picks up your licensed dog (or cat) as a stray, they may be able to return the pet directly to your door.

What are the requirements to license my pet?
The law requires that pets are up-to-date on their rabies vaccine. You must submit the proof of rabies vaccination along with your license application form. Additionally, license fees are discounted for pets that are spayed/neutered (proof required.) The Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA offers free and low-cost spay/neuter for dogs and cats.

Some cities offer additional discounts for seniors and low-income individuals. Please check your city’s license application for guidelines.

My dog/cat can’t get a rabies vaccine. What do I do?
Unfortunately, the Pasadena Humane Society cannot grant rabies waivers. City of Pasadena residents must contact the Pasadena Department of Public Health at 626.744.6000. Residents of all other cities must call the Department of Public Health for the County of Los Angeles at 213.989.7060.

Questions? Email licensing@pasadenahumane.org.