Week of August 3-7

Categories: On the Road with Marlin

Yet another long weekend for me! It began on Friday, August 5, as we headed over to the Arboretum for the Summer Concert Series. This evening “Whiskey Sunday” was the band performing and they were really good. The volunteers and dogs were Morgan and “Sadie,” the playful Labrador/pit mix; Mike and “Dakota,” a lovable white and tan English bulldog mix; Mary and “Jerry,” a shy senior Chihuahua mix; Judy and “Cherry,” the spunky playful Chihuahua mix with cherry eye; Eddie and “Pepper,” our gray Lhasa Apso who is mellow and sleepy; Tyra and “Zeus,” who was renamed “Bubba” (Zeus was, not Tyra), our big lap loving mastiff mix. We got ourselves set up in a grassy area and kids immediately moved in to meet our dogs.

Arb 1We always work to get the kids to extend their hand so the dog can sniff (which is how they say “hi”) and I had to exercise some of my old teacher skills to reinforce that! We discovered quickly that “Dakota” liked adults just fine, but was not too fond of kids. So Mike and “Dakota” moved out of the area to interact mostly with adults. In the process, we discovered that “Dakota” has learned some commands that include shaking hands! “Jerry” also proved to be a bit anxious around kids, so we moved another dog out of the area. Surprisingly, “Cherry” showed some shyness with crowds, but away from a lot of people she became her usual playful self! “Pepper” took a couple of walks, curled up, and went to sleep. Nothing bothered him; not the music, not the drums, not the people. That left “Sadie” and “Bubba” to hold court with a lot of kids as well as a lot of adults. These two dogs just took it all in stride. “Bubba” just had to lean into everyone for as much attention as he could get. This dog was unshakable! “Sadie,” for all her energy and playfulness, decided finally she had enough and took Morgan off to a quiet spot to relax.

With only “Bubba” left to meet the people, we decided to call it a night a bit early and head back to PHS. And then we discovered that “Bubba” wanted nothing to do with returning back to PHS and going back to his kennel. A lot of treats later, he finally condescended to enter his kennel! I ended up staying for a couple of hours longer at work trying to determine a few replacement dogs for the next day before finally heading home!

The next day arrived a bit too early for me, but I managed to rouse myself and head in to work. Today, Saturday, August 6, we headed over to Centinela Feed and Pet Supply. Volunteers and their dogs were: Andres and “Bubba”; Carol and “Sadie”; Lucy and “Cherry”; Betsy and “Arthur,” who was a very shy spaniel mix of some kind; and Jennifer with “Harry,” a super-happy cockapoo (yes, we occasionally have designer dogs!).

cent 4Normally a quiet location, Centinela was rather busy on this day and we had a lot of people coming into our area in front of the store. “Bubba” attracted all the attention again and I watched as a boy, about 8 years old, got him to go through his “sit” and “down” commands for a treat. As for “Sadie,” she has discovered the joy of toys and spent a lot of time rummaging through our toy basket. “Cherry” snatched a few toys from “Sadie” who snatched a few back from her! “Harry” just sat around with a big grin. We would wait until tomorrow to see if their two dogs and “Harry” all get along. “Arthur” slowly came out of his shell and began to explore around and even claimed a pillow on which to snooze for a while. We soon discovered that he liked to dance inside the water bowls which led me to wonder if he’d like to go swimming . . . not that we had a pool with us on this day!

One couple became very interested in “Harry” and after spending some time with him, decided they would like to adopt him, However, they had two dogs at home that needed to meet “Harry” first. So I placed an adoption hold on “Harry” and we would wait until tomorrow to see how things went.

Four or so families all took down “Bubba’s” information and each seemed quite interested in him. We were keeping our fingers crossed! When I arrived back at PHS, one of the families was there, and “Bubba” was soon in his new fur-ever home! (I hope they have plenty of room in their bed!)

Sunday, August 7, arrived even earlier than the day before! I dragged myself to work and soon we headed off to the Flea Market at Pasadena City College. Volunteers and dogs were: Eva and “Cherry”; Mary Ann and “Arthur”; Cheryl and “Sadie”; Bill and “Dakota”; with Louise and “Simone,” a 9 month old Terrier/Chihuahua mix. I had thought about bringing “Pepper” on this day, but he seemed to be sleeping so much that I decided to have “Simone” come with us instead. She had been in my office earlier in the week and was a calm and affectionate puppy. Not today! Louise came around the corner with a whirling dervish! “Simone” was so excited that she didn’t calm down for hours!

Before I leave the office for the day, I always check all the computer files to make sure each dog is free to go with no adoption holds. I missed one for “Arthur” due to a typo. Remember that. It applies to the day’s story!

We arrived at PCC, got set up in the shade of the trees and the cool of the grass and all the dogs headed off for walks. “Arthur” was back to his shy self, so it took a while for him to relax and also head off on a walk. There was no loud music at PCC, so “Dakota” was happy and playful. Seeing a bulldog throwing a toy up in the air and playfully pouncing on it was a lot of fun. “Sadie” played with toys for a while, but also missed playing with “Bubba,” so she started watching as “Cherry” and “Simone” were playing together! Wanting to join in, “Sadie” crouched as low to the ground as she could get her big self, and then rolled over on her back waving her paws in the air. “Cherry” and “Simone” both took the hint and allowed her to join in with playing. We are always super careful whenever a large dog and small dog play together because a small dog can get hurt so easily . . . but in this case, all three dogs got along very well!

Arb 4A young lady showed up who had just graduated college and wanted to meet “Arthur.” She had submitted an application at PHS, and the office also missed the hold due to the typo and they had sent her over to meet Arthur. She wanted to adopt him. But she didn’t know if the office had placed a hold on him or not, which confused me because if they had, they would have called me. So I called the office for clarification. Yes, I was told, there is a hold on him. When I asked for the name, it didn’t match the girl at our location. Uh-oh, I thought, this was going to be complicated! The best I could do for the young lady was to give her a second spot on a possible adoption if the first fell through. Then, the first adopters for Arthur showed up for their dog to meet “Arthur.” It went fine, but because the application was back at PHS, we all needed to meet back there to finalize the adoption. It’s one of those bitter-sweet things where I got to know the young girl and was disappointed for her, but was happy for “Arthur” finding a home with a playmate!

It was time for us to head back to PHS since it had been a long day. We got back to PHS, handed “Arthur” over to his new family and waved goodbye! I checked on the status for “Harry” and the dog-to-dog meeting. It had apparently gone well, but the couple wanted to wait one more day . . . I suspect to think it over. So, paws crossed for a finalized adoption one more day!

So, other Mobile dogs to mention: “Luna,” the playful pit bull, and “Jimmy,” the elderly dachshund mix, both out on Clear the Shelters Day with Mobile, were both adopted! “Minnie,” the hyper playful min pin . . . along with “Prince” a playful chihuahua . . . and “Sandy,” the shy black Chihuahua, are all going to foster homes in Spokane! And finally, after several weeks, “Lily,” our mellow friendly Lab/pit mix, has finally been adopted!

Coming up next weekend: Friday, August 12, we will be at the Arboretum for the Summer Night Concert series beginning at 5:00 p.m. and ending around 8:00 p.m. On Saturday, August 13, we will be at the San Gabriel Petco at 7262 Rosemead Boulevard from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Then, on Sunday, August 14, we will be at Petco at 845 S. Arroyo Pkwy in Pasadena from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Until then, we might see you “On The Road.”

About Marlin Miller

After my first entry, people have been asking, "Who's Marlin?" Briefly, I am the Mobile Outreach Coordinator for PHS. I drive the 33-foot long Mobile Unit and squeeze it into impossible spaces at a variety of community events. Inside, we have kennels for adoptable dogs and seats for enthusiastic mobile volunteers. We happily motor off to events every Saturday and Sunday and a day or two during the week as well. At these events, we display around 40 informational sheets or flyers and showcase our adoptable dogs while representing PHS. We are in such demand that our event calendar is booked several months in advance!