It’s raining! The first storm of the season is passing through the LA area. We’ve put together some pointers to help you and your pet stay safe and dry.
Have Some Fun!
- Visit a pet-friendly business. Most pet stores allow dogs to wander the aisles with their owners, as do some local businesses. Always check first before you bring Fido along for the ride.
- Invest in interactive dogs toys. Kibble dispensing toys and puzzle toys keep your dog’s mind active. You can pick up some at the PHS Shelter Shop.
- Practice training commands and tricks. Use a rainy day to brush up on your dog’s “sit,” “stay,” and “shake” commands or check out our training classes.
- Invite a doggy friend over for a playdate or drop your pup off at an indoor doggy daycare.
- Pick up some raingear. For dogs that don’t want to “do their business” in the rain, a raincoat might do the trick. Try to take your dog out under an overhang or cover them with an umbrella.
- Go outside. Many dogs don’t mind the rain and a little water shouldn’t do them any harm. Grab a raincoat and some rain boots for yourself and take your dog for their normal walk or throw a ball in the backyard.
- Current identification. If your dog is outside and we experience a strong downpour or a thunderstorm, they may run trying to find safe cover. In the event your pet does get lost, current identification is the best ticket home.
- If you do lose your pet, be sure to visit the shelter regularly and check our website daily at a minimum. Photos of all incoming animals are updated hourly.
- Keep pets indoors. If an animal is outdoors, you must provide shelter out of the rain. It’s the law!
- If you see an animal outside in the rain with no shelter or in need, please contact animal control at 626.792.7151.
- Book a spay/neuter appointment. Take a look at the extended forecast. If there is a rainy day coming up, it might be the perfect time to take Fluffy in for spay/neuter surgery.
For more tips or behavior advice for your pet, call our behavior hotline at 626.792.7151 ext. 155 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.