National Pit Bull Awareness Day is a day of education, awareness and advocacy designed to change commonly held stereotypes and perceptions surrounding pit bull-type dogs. On Saturday, October 28, the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA (PHS) will welcome pit bull owners and their dogs for a day of fun and games.
This year’s festivities will include:
- Basic Obedience Training:Dog trainers will offer a free basic obedience class for pit bull-type dogs at 10:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. in the Behavior and Training Room. Attendees can sign up for the class on arrival. Class will be limited to 14 dogs.
- Free Vaccines & Microchip: All pit bull-type dogs are eligible for vaccines (DHPP & rabies) and a microchip in our Wellness Clinic.
- Agility Open House:The behavior and training yard will be transformed into an agility course from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pit bull-type dogs can try their paw at jumping over hurdles, through rings, and walking over the A-frame.
- Meet the Trainer:The PHS dog training and behavior team will be on hand throughout the day to answer questions you have about your dog.
- Photo Booth:A photographer will snap photos of dogs with their owners. The photos will be available on our Facebook page.
- Adoptions:The adoption fee for all pit bull and pit bull mixes at the shelter will be just $20. Regular adoption process applies.
- Shelter Shop:Pit bull-type dog owners will receive 10% off any purchase in the PHS Shelter Shop when they visit with their dog.
“Pit Bull-type dogs can be loving family pets like any other dog,” said Julie Bank, President & CEO of the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA. “Our goal is to celebrate families that have welcomed pit bulls into their homes and to promote responsible pet ownership.”
National Pit Bull Awareness Day will be held on Saturday, October 28 from 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Pasadena Humane Society & SPCA, located at 361 S. Raymond Ave., Pasadena, CA 91105. All dogs must be on leash and the owner must be in control of their dog at all times. We reserve the right to ask any dog to leave for any reason. For more information, visit pasadenahumane.org.